Monday, 24 September 2012

48 Hours in Plymouth



So thanks to possibly the most random Christmas present I have ever received, the mister and me got to spend a couple of days in Plymouth last week. And here's my rundown of the top things to do in 48 hours.
Start as you mean to go on and have a cream tea. Devonshire way please, so clotted cream first then the jam. 

Walk off those scones with a walk around the Barbican shops. Pretty much all of these were small independent shops, with lots of made in Devon products. And lots of food places if you could possibly still be hungry.

Finish off the afternoon with a tour of the Plymouth Gin Distillery. The tour includes a G&T in the bar, and the more hardcore gin fans can even try mixing their own gin blend.
 Dinner looking out on the water at the Barbican. I went for locally caught fish in an ale brewed just over the county border in Cornwall.
 Next day, have a tour of the Royal Citadel. Parts of the building are still original but it used as a working military base today. The views over Plymouth are amazing, and our guide was full of information about Plymouth history.
By now, you will be need of an icecream, preferably from the coolest ice cream van I have possibly ever seen.

More history now with a visit to the Mayflower Steps where the Pilgrim Fathers left for the new world. There is also a museum just opposite if you want to know more about the Mayflower.
Finish up with a walk across Plymouth Hoe, soak up the views and have a climb up Smeaton's Tower.

Any great places to visit/things to do I missed? This is one of the first trips I didn't endlessly research beforehand so I'm sure I missed something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your lovely thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...