Thursday, 27 December 2012

2012 Goals: The Goal Setting

I've taken a little bit of a break from blogging to enjoy Christmas with my family and now I'm breaking the usual schedule to share some of my goals from 2012. After all, it is that time of year when everyone is looking back on the year that's just gone and looking forward to the next one.

But first, a little bit on my goal setting process. It was inspired by both Caiti and Nicole, with a few adaptations. Basically, you pick nine 'buckets', areas of your life you want to set goals in like friends, blogging, work. Within those buckets you then choose 3 goals for the year. Those of you who are quick with the maths would know that's 27 goals. Or as I originally thought, a lot of goals! Then every month, you set a small goal that would get you a step further towards each of the 27 big goals.

It doesn't matter if you don't complete every goal each month, in fact I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do that every month. If you are, your goals are probably way too easy. But on the other hand, if you are barely completing any at all despite a lot of effort, maybe they are all too hard. And if there is one little goal that you are constantly pushing from one month to the next then maybe it just isn't the right time to attempt that big goal.


I'm very good at lists, and setting goals, and having big intentions. And most of these go out of the window when real life takes over. This process was a complete revelation to me, I found it so much easier to have goals to achieve each month that didn't seem nearly as daunting as the big goals I had set myself. And I can promise you, with a bit of effort, it really works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your lovely thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...